Diving at Abersoch and Porth Ysgaden

The 2016 diving season often starts with the late bank holiday and this year was no excption.  The week leading up to the holiday weekend had been hot, with cloudless skies.  The forecast for the weekend gave a little cause for concern - thunderstorms.  But our dive manager, Trou, guaranteed there would be no thunderstorms. So on Friday night we headed up to Tyn Rhos, the SSAC campsite.  Upon arrival at 21:30, the first surprise; Troy was already there.  The usual 5 am arrival following a breakdown, boat issues, etc. were non existant.  Was this setting a precedent for the whole weekend?  So tents were pitched, bunk house beds made up & a small quantity of beer may have been consumed.

Saturday morning came.  No thunderstorms, just grey sky, drizzle and a rapidly strengthening southwesterly.  How could it be?  Anyway we had breakfast - our dive manager also doubles up as our chef.  Then it was off to Abersoch beach to see what was on offer.  We had a newly qualified Ocean Diver ready for his first sea dive, so a nice shallow and sheltered dive site was needed.  Out we headed.  Porth Ceiriad would be no good as it was exposed to the wind.  So we headed for the east side St. Tudwals West which was sheltered from the waves.  In we went.  Kelp at 2 - 3 m, weed & rocks at 5 - 6 m.  Then we ran out of island and dropped down to 10 m before returning to the boat.  A nice gentle start to sea diving.


We returned to Abersoch for lunch whilst the mist came down and the weather deteriorated.  Not to worry, we headed off a relaxing afternoon and then went across to the north side of the peninsula to Porth Ysgaden bay for a night dive.  In at 22:15, swam out to the mouth of the bay & back in time for dinner & bed.

DSC00205 (1)_0.JPGDSC00216_0.JPG

Sunday's weather saw an improvement so we headed back to Porth Ysgaden.  More divers had turned up for Sunday so both boats were taken out.  The first dive was a fast drift at around 20 m somewhere in the vicinity of Big Rock - anyone saw it?  For the second dive we were determined to get onto Big Rock.  We carefully timed to getlow slack water and put a shot exactly on the rock - only 9 m.  In I went, but no-one had told the tide to stop.  Grabbing hold of the shot it promptly disappeared under the waves!  By the time my buddy joined me I had let go of the shot and was already 10 m down tide.  Oh well, down we dropped for another drift, this time in 15 m.  Both dives were lovely with plenty of fish, crabs and dead man's fingers.  Unfortunately my stobe wasn't working so no pics...